Congratulations to the Resonance Philanthropies Youth Wellbeing Challenge winner, runners up, and finalists! Explore the top entries
Design a product, service or initiative that enhances the wellbeing of children and teens living with a physical or mental illness or disability.
SDG 3 addresses health and wellbeing in general. This challenge focuses specifically on the wellbeing of young people. What's your big idea to improve the lives of children and teens living with disease, injury or disability or facing social/emotional challenges?
Resonance Philanthropies challenges you to think BIG and come up with an innovative approach. It can be technology-based — an app, a game, an online community or resource — or it can be something else entirely, such as a solution that bridges the virtual and physical worlds.
Here are some examples of ideas that improved the health and wellbeing of young people:
- AbleGamers.org is driven by a simple mission: #SoEveryoneCanGame. The organization not only brings together a passionate online community, it improves the daily lives of gamers of all ages who are living with disabilities.
- The award-winning mobile game Shadow's Edge, part of the Digging Deep Project, helps young adults living with chronic health conditions fight isolation and develop resilience through a gaming experience based on positive psychology and creative expression.
- A free app called Calm Harm provides in-the-moment aid to those who battle powerful urges to self-harm, offering timed 5- and 15-minute activities that can help teens find healthier ways to handle emotions and manage impulses.
- The organization Active Minds provides young people with straightforward information about mental health conditions and fights stigma in everyday life by connecting young people through a campus-based, peer-to-peer network.
- The organization LoveisRespect.org engages, educates and empowers young people dealing with dating violence and abusive relationships by providing online resources as well as free and confidential phone, chat and text services.
- The Lemonade Days fundraising model, inspired by 8-year-old Alexandra Scott, helps nonprofit organizations raise money for research into childhood cancers with lemonade stands, a tribute to the legacy of Alex and her original front lawn lemonade stand.
What's your innovative idea to improve the lives of youth facing physical or mental health challenges?
Resonance Philanthropies is a donor-advised fund of Silicon Valley Community Foundation, which supports initiatives in children’s health and other passions of the founder and her family.
Explore this challenge
- Psychology Today: The Extra Burdens Faced by Young People with Chronic Illness
- AACAP: Helping Children Cope with Chronic Illness
- Huffington Post: What It's Like to Be a Teen with Chronic Illness
- Patients Rising: Take Back Control of Your Chronic Illness
- Healthy Children: Living with Chronic Illness or Disability
- Shadow's Edge: A Free Mobile Game for Teens Facing Health Challenges
We believe youth around the world are entrepreneurs, innovators and changemakers. The World Series of Innovation challenges are a way to inspire new ways of thinking by asking young people to envision solutions to some of the most important problems we face today.Sheri Sobrato Brisson / Co-Founder, Resonance Philanthropies
Resonance Philanthropies Youth Wellbeing Challenge Finalists
Explore the top entries in the Resonance Philanthropies Youth Wellbeing Challenge.
- Clothief , upcycled and sustainably sourced adaptive clothing for the differently abled.
- Cognality, a virtual reality app for autistic children that heads off meltdowns and offers calm and comfort. **RUNNER UP**
- Depression Detector, a mobile app that uses natural language processing and machine learning to diagnose depression more accurately than the leading screener.
- Dollar Donations, a donation platform for small ($1 plus) donations that creates a giving community and helps young people unite to support change.
- Handibandi , an ingenious hair accessory for the young or disabled that only takes one hand to secure.
- PeakVR, a virtual reality app that helps youth with dyscalculia experience a world of fun mathematics and learn concepts they've struggled with.
- ReThink, a cyberbullying solution that works across email, texting, and social media apps by detecting offensive messages before they're posted. **WINNER**
- ReVision, a wearable device that employs radio frequency identification to provide a navigation system for the visually impaired.
- Seeing for the Blind, a high tech wearable device that uses echolocation and machine learning to help the visually impaired navigate. **RUNNER UP**
- VisionaryEye, a "smart spectacle" that analyzes video inputs and synthesizes speech to guide a blind child wearing wireless earbuds.
11 Sustainable cities and communitiesAssurant Stronger Communities Challenge
Stronger Communities Challenge: Improve preparedness and resilience to overcome challenges caused by disasters and recover more quickly.
7 Affordable and clean energyBank of the West Clean Energy Challenge
Clean Energy Challenge: empower small businesses and individual households to speed the transition to clean energy.
5 Gender EqualityCiti Foundation Gender Equality Challenge
Gender Equality Challenge: help women and girls "future-proof" by upskilling, taking advantage of new market opportunities or launching new businesses.
16 Peace, justice and strong institutionsEY Belonging Challenge
Belonging Challenge: Make communities, governments or companies more inclusive so individuals feel a sense of belonging.
4 Quality EducationIntuit Education Sustainable Careers Challenge
Sustainable Careers Challenge: promote technical/vocational education, relevant skills training and lifelong learning opportunities.
9 Industry, Innovation and infrastructureMastercard Financial Access Challenge
Financial Access Challenge: help the "unbanked" make and receive payments, improving financial access.
13 Climate actionMoody's Foundation Climate Action Challenge
Climate Action Challenge: empower individuals and communities to take action on climate change.
10 Reduce InequalitiesPayPal Equality for All Challenge
Equality for All Challenge: promote social and economic inclusion for all.