The EY Belonging Challenge finalists are now announced! See Finalists
Design a product, service or initiative that will help make communities, governments or companies more inclusive so individuals feel a sense of belonging.
SDG 16 calls for peace, justice and inclusive institutions.
The desire to belong is a basic human need. It connects us to others to create meaningful relationships, and it makes us feel good about ourselves and the groups we’re part of.
“The collection of us” is how we talk about belonging at EY, and it’s a core part of what holds communities, societies and workplaces together. In our research, respondents said belonging at work means that their contribution matters, they are accepted and valued for who they are and that they are treated fairly and impartially.
Belonging is considered to go beyond diversity and creates an environment where an individual can contribute fully and is recognized for it. Research shows that mitigating uncertainty around belonging significantly reduces stress and improves physical health, emotional well-being and performance. When people feel like they belong, they are more productive, motivated and engaged.
What's your big idea for making a community, company or government more inclusive so that all people can feel like they belong?
EY is a global leader in assurance, tax, transaction and advisory services. The insights and quality services we deliver help build trust and confidence in the capital markets and in economies the world over. We develop outstanding leaders who team up to deliver on our promises to all of our stakeholders. In so doing, we play a critical role in building a better working world for our people, for our clients and for our communities. EY refers to the global organization, and may refer to one or more of the member firms of Ernst & Young Global Limited, each of which is a separate legal entity. Ernst & Young Global Limited, a UK company limited by guarantee, does not provide services to clients. For more information about our organization, please visit ey.com.
When we feel a strong sense of belonging, we feel free to be ourselves and safe to offer different points of view. Given the increasing diversity of our teams, we cannot take a sense of belonging for granted. That is why we, as leaders, colleagues, and team members, need to be purposeful and deliberate in cultivating a sense of belonging for all, to harness its benefits for us as individuals, for highest performing teams, and for our organizations.Karyn Twaronite / Global and Americas Diversity & Inclusiveness Officer, EY
EY Belonging Challenge Finalists
We're thrilled to announce the finalists for the EY Belonging Challenge. Read about their innovative ideas below.
- ARTiculation, a visual arts program bringing people together on group projects, building community while working together to create tapestries.
- Beaded Together, beaded bracelets with multi-colored beads that represent different personality traits important to inclusive communities.
- Civitas, a check-your-phone-at-the-door social club that encourages face-to-face interaction and real conversation.
- Equal Steps, a program that helps connect women with each other and with certified inclusive employers.
- Generation BoomerZ, an online platform designed to connect socially isolated Baby Boomers with Gen Zers who want to trade skills.
- Haven, a concept for a youth center that can be a safe place in the community, available to all and offering empowerment education.
- Lynksoon, a mobile app and online community that helps homeschooled teens connect and build stronger, more diverse friendships.
- Oikku, a community-building mobile app to help young people when they leave college and first enter the workforce.
- Relax, an anti-stress/anti-anxiety kit for high school and college students who struggle to communicate and don't feel a sense of belonging.
- Sign Language Connect, online training in American Sign Language, to bridge the divide between people who speak and those who can't.
11 Sustainable cities and communitiesAssurant Stronger Communities Challenge
Stronger Communities Challenge: Improve preparedness and resilience to overcome challenges caused by disasters and recover more quickly.
7 Affordable and clean energyBank of the West Clean Energy Challenge
Clean Energy Challenge: empower small businesses and individual households to speed the transition to clean energy.
5 Gender EqualityCiti Foundation Gender Equality Challenge
Gender Equality Challenge: help women and girls "future-proof" by upskilling, taking advantage of new market opportunities or launching new businesses.
4 Quality EducationIntuit Education Sustainable Careers Challenge
Sustainable Careers Challenge: promote technical/vocational education, relevant skills training and lifelong learning opportunities.
9 Industry, Innovation and infrastructureMastercard Financial Access Challenge
Financial Access Challenge: help the "unbanked" make and receive payments, improving financial access.
13 Climate actionMoody's Foundation Climate Action Challenge
Climate Action Challenge: empower individuals and communities to take action on climate change.
10 Reduce InequalitiesPayPal Equality for All Challenge
Equality for All Challenge: promote social and economic inclusion for all.
3 Good Health and WellbeingResonance Philanthropies Youth Well-Being Challenge
Youth Well-Being Challenge: enhance the lives of children and teens living with physical or mental illness or disability.